Create New Account
Forgot Your Password?





EMS (EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES) FAST FACTS

  • 99% of the American populations can dial 9-1-1 and summon emergency medical assistance in an emergency.

  • EMS treats approximately 25-30 million patients per year with annual expenditures of about $6.75 billion.

  • There are an estimated 700,000 EMS personnel in the country.

  • There are four nationally defined levels of emergency medical professionals: First Responder, EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate/99 and Paramedic. Some states use different titles and many have additional licensure levels, especially between the EMT-Basics and Paramedic levels.

  • EMT-Basics undergo about 120 hours of training. EMTs are trained and certified to insert basic airways, perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, use an automated defibrillator, manage bleeding and shock, splinting and emergency childbirth.

  • Paramedics undergo about 1,000-14,000 hours of training. Paramedics are trained and certified in advanced airways, perform cardiac monitoring, defibrillation and other electrical therapies for cardiac emergencies, start intravenous lines and administer medications.

  • The national average salary for career Paramedics is $43,535 and approximately $20,000 for career EMT-Basics*

  • The number of EMS volunteers has dropped 7% since September 11, 2001 and has not returned to pre-911 levels.

  • About 50% of EMT-Basics are volunteers. Over 95% of Paramedics are compensated for their service.

  • In addition to traditional roles as emergency responders, EMS personnel work in emergency departments, helicopters, cardiac catheter labs, doctorsí offices, and occupational and industrial settings.

  • Approximately 40% of EMS professionals work for fire departments. The other 60% work for private companies, municipal services, hospital-based services, the military or other federal agencies*

  • 56% of EMS professionals work in a community with a population under 75,000*

  • 76% of EMS professionals are white and 70% are male*

* This information is a result of analysis of data from the 2005 LEADS (Longitudinal Emergency Medical Technician Attributes and Demographics Study) questionnaire and represents only EMT Basics and Paramedics (First Responder and Intermediate levels of EMTs are not represented) who are certified with the NREMT.

Return to Top